So, Spica at Spicasmagoria Extreme (or is it just Spicasmagoria now?) nominated me for this Liebster Award thing. As most of you know, this is another one of those blog/social media chain letter things and if you've ever gotten a chain letter, you know there are dire consequences for breaking the chain. If I remember the ones I used to receive by snail mail back in the day, Joe Smith broke the chain and died 20 years later at the age 102 in a legal brothel after a weekend of partying! So, better not tempt fate.
Anyway, here are the eleven questions I was asked and my answers. Remember that the root of Liebster is LIE, so you'll have to decide for yourself how much inspiration I've taken from that in my responses.
1. Fantasy or science fiction? Or both? Or neither? (if neither what genre do you like?)
- I lean more towards Sci Fi since I'm not much of a traditional "Sword and Sorcery" fan. Honestly though, I don't read any contemporary Sci Fi any more since so much of it is anvilicious drivel trying desperately to seem edgy and provocative. I mostly read non-fiction history and current affairs when I get the chance. I'm trying to read a book on world architecture right now and I enjoy a lot of Simon Winchester's stuff (Krakatoa, Crack at The Edge Of The World), just for a couple of examples.
2. Who or what is your childhood hero? Do you still look up to them?
- I don't know if I could say "heroes" per se but as a child I admired Ruth from the Bible, Benjamin Franklin, Davy Crockett and Neil Armstrong to name a few that come to mind. I think they've all generally held up to my admiration over time.
3. What fictional character do you love to hate?
- Hmmm…. I think I'm becoming curmugeonly because nobody is really standing out right now. I love fluffy moe anime series but let's face it, most of those characters are a collection of tropes and archetypes thrown in to a series of predictable plot turns and twists.
4. Three things that make you happy? (or more if you get inspired!)
- That's a tough question when the "Black Dog" lives at your house but I love and am grateful for my wife and kids.
5. What movie/TV-show did you watch last? How did you like it?
- Probably something involving Thomas the Tank Engine. It blends together after a while and I don't know if I liked it or not! LOL
6. Your favorite restaurant/shop? Tell us a little about it!
- I miss my favorite restaurants in New Orleans but that was a long time ago in a life far, far away. Currently, the restaurants I like are Jutama's (Thai), Tabella (Italian) and Crescent City (US Southern/Creole). I rarely get to go to any of them nowadays but I still like 'em.
7. What kind of things do you keep always with you? Or do you have such things?
- My iPhone is pretty much always with me until someone actually tries to call me.
8. What kind of music do you listen to?
- REAL music! None of that crap you young whippersnappers call "music" nowadays.
9. Do you believe in magic? (the nature of magic not defined)
- Not in the traditional sense of a magic user casting spells and that sort of thing. I would call myself a grumpy empiricist except for the Christianity part. On the other hand, I have very little patience with this faux rationalist cargo cult who insist "Science!" has the answer to everything.
10. Internet memes! Like 'em or hate 'em? Favorite/least favorite meme?
- Total guilty pleasure and the more stupid, silly, rude and annoying, the better. I wish I could think of some better ones but "Drive Me Closer, I Want To Hit Them With My Sword!" and "Oh, The Huge Manatee!" still make me smile.
11. What do you think about tattoos? Do you have one(or more)? If you would get one what kind of a tattoo would it be?
- I'm tired of them, like worn out, eye-rollin', ovah it, DONE! I ran in some "artsy" crowds once upon a time and the folks with extensive ink, lots of piercings and wild or retro hair were already common 20+ years ago. To me, it's not fresh, rebellious or counterculture; it's what your grandma did back in the day. And yes, I know at least one 60 year old woman with ass antlers! I don't have any ink but if I did get a tat, it would be a naked Obama on a winged unicorn wielding a hammer and sickle. Because, why the hell not? LOL
I can't think of eleven questions because my two year old fell asleep late today and is now wired and ready to go while I'm tired as heck. Besides, I'm old enough to be your dad anyway, so get off my lawn, wipe that smirk off your face and turn down the damn noise! LOL