Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Adventurer's Club - Feb. 2014

This month's Adventurer's Club theme is "local attractions" which proved to be surprisingly difficult for me to come up with an entry. I've been feeling a bit grumpy about my locality so it was hard to think of something attractive to post. Finally, I looked around my house and came up with something neat and bit more classy than the sewer access cover out in the alley!

Here, Lycee is posing with two West African carved wood statues that are in the collection of the Bookshelf Museum of Post-Modern Antiquities and Random Stuff.
Lycee is... well... Lycee! More correctly, she's an Azone PN Lycee Progression who I hope to have as one of my regular Adventurers. The African figures are exactly that. They are Ibeji figures from the Yoruba people of southwestern Nigeria. Ibejis are nearly always made in pairs as they represent twin siblings; the Yoruba have one the highest rates of fraternal twin births of any people on earth.

I'm glad I managed to get this done before the end of the month and now I'm ready to find out what Heather has planned for March. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. This is exactly the same girl who is my main Adventurer XD I love it!

    I'm so glad to see these represented twins too... I was glad to see I hadn't forgotten everything from my African Art History course XD

    I've also been pondering the club... since people might join it later (because they might not find it until later) I think I'm going to rework, a bit, how I dole out prizes when it's time for that... and it will be more of a "Consecutive 12 Months = prize" sort of thing, so you can start whenever... does that sound reasonable?

    ReplyDelete